If you have known India enough, then you would agree on how many levels of success this diverse land has stepped up. From days when its chugging trains used to be just a way to commute to its luxury rail journeys where time takes a back seat. These royal train tours offer an experience of India than what actually meets the eye. And probably a great way to voyage around the colorful destinations of India in a luxurious way. Hope you are imagining yourself in a regal chariot with alike interiors and 5-star hotel treatment, because that’s how things going to be on an Indian Luxury train tour.
In this blog, you get all the insights about the 5 luxury train tours in India that redefine traveling.
1. Maharajas’ Express
It won’t be wrong to say that Maharajas’ Express is one of the most luxurious trains in India. A six times winner of “The World’s Leading Luxury Train” at the World Travel Awards, your doubts might have vanished by now. Offering the Maharaja like feel to each one of its 88 guests seated in 14 cabins, this luxury train in India spans over seven
journeys encircling India. When it comes to the facilities it has to offer, expect fine dining in Mayur Mahal and Rang Mahal. Coupled with bars named Rajah Club and Safari Bar, gym, souvenir shop, observation car, store car, generator, on board doctor, to name a few.
The cabins that you are going to spend time will come with attached washrooms, personal wardrobe, and individual climate control. Some other features are direct dial phones, television, WI-FI internet, DVD player, electronic safe and more.
- The Heritage of India (Mumbai – Ajanta – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – Delhi)
- Gems of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
- The Indian Panorama (Delhi – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Fatehpur – Sikri – Agra – Gwalior – Orchha – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Lucknow – Delhi)
- Indian Splendour (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Bikaner – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Balasinor – Mumbai)
- Treasures of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
- Southern Jewels (Trivandrum – Chettinad – Mahabalipuram – Mysore – Hampi – Goa – Mumbai)
- Southern Splendour (Mumbai – Goa – Hampi – Mysore – Cochin – Kumarakom – Trivandrum)
When to take a tour?
Maharajas’ Express runs from October to April and plies on 7 routes as highlighted above.
2. Palace on Wheels
Does the name put you in a dream of legit traveling in a royal palace? This luxury train journey in India is going to make this dream come true. The moment you pack your bags and become a part of the Palace on Wheels journey, you get to peek through the Northern gems of India. The 14 coaches of this train are named after Rajasthan’s princely states. Planning a luxurious trip to Rajasthan cannot be any better than traveling on Palace on Wheels and reveling in its great comfort.
As for the facilities filled in the journey, one can revel in The Saloon, two world-class restaurants ‘The Maharaja’ and ‘The Maharani’. The Bar, spa, souvenir shop, sitting lounge, are some more facilities dotted on the Palace on Wheels.
After talking a lot about the Palace on Wheels as a whole, you would like to know what the cabins have in store for you. Private wardrobes, piped music, night lights, attached bathroom, and reading lights are some of the major features.
Train itinerary: Delhi – Jaipur – Sawai Madhopur – Chittorgarh – Udaipur – Jaisalmer – Jodhpur – Bharatpur – Agra – Delhi
Key attractions covered by this train are:
- Delhi – India Gate, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar, Humayun’s Tomb
- Jaipur – Hawa Mahal, Amer Fort, City Palace, Jantar Mantar
- Sawai Madhopur & Chittorgarh – Ranthambore National Park, Chittorgarh Fort
- Udaipur – Jag Niwas, Lake Pichola
- Jaisalmer – Yellow Sandstone Fort, ancient mansions
- Jodhpur – Mehrangarh Fort, grand palaces, shopping tour in Jodhpur
- Bharatpur – Keoladeo Ghana National Park
- Agra – Fatehpur-Sikri, the Taj Mahal
When to take a tour?
Palace on Wheels is in full swing from September to April.
3. The Deccan Odyssey
If someone gave you a chance to experience the Western Ghats on a train, would you take it? I think you surely would. The Deccan Odyssey, one of the most loved Indian luxury trains offers 6 routes to its travelers all of which span over 7 Nights and 8 Days. As you step in this train stretching over 21 coaches and adorned with the shades of blue, you will be treated with 2 restaurants, bar, spa, souvenir shop, conference car and more.
The air conditioned cabins are packed with facilities like attached bathroom, telephone, personal safe and an attendant to take care at all times.
Choose from the below mentioned six options available and embark on sojourn of a lifetime.
- Maharashtra Splendor (Mumbai – Nasik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – Mumbai)
- Indian Odyssey (Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – Mumbai)
- Hidden Treasures of Gujarat (Mumbai – Vadodara – Palitana – Sasan Gir – Somnath – Little Rann of Kutch – Modhera – Patan – Nashik – Mumbai)
- Indian Sojourn (Mumbai – Vadodara – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Agra – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Delhi)
- Jewels of the Deccan (Mumbai – Bijapur – Aihole – Pattadakal – Hampi – Hyderabad – Ellora Caves – Ajanta Caves – Mumbai)
- Maharashtra Wild Trail (Mumbai – Aurangabad – Ramtek – Tadoba – Ajanta – Nashik – Mumbai)
When to take a tour?
The Deccan Odyssey operates from October to April.
4. Golden Chariot
Do you have a soft corner for South India? Then, Golden Chariot the 2013 ‘Asia’s Leading Luxury Train’ award winner is the perfect royal journey for you. Picking all the popular and offbeat destinations of South India, this train calls in guests for a tour of 7 Nights and 8 Days. The classic interiors and the perfect essence of South India will make you realize why it is one of the best luxury trains in India.
The train in its 11 coaches named after the dynasties that ruled the region brings together every luxury possible for its guests. Multi-cuisine restaurants, a lounge, car, and a spa are the major highlights of Golden Chariot.
When you choose from the 44 air-conditioned cabins of Golden Chariot, you choose facilities like wardrobe, LCD television, and attached bathroom. Writing desk, DVD players are some other facilities on the list.
- Pride of the South (Bangalore – Kabini – Mysore – Hassan – Hampi – Badami – Goa – Bangalore)
- Southern Splendour (Bangalore – Chennai – Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry – Thanjavur – Madurai – Thiruvananthapuram – Alleppey – Kochi – Bangalore)
- When to take a tour?
The Golden Chariot runs from October to March.
5. Fairy Queen Express
It was in the year 1855 that India got the World’s oldest rolling locomotive, Fairy Queen Express. Till the year 1908, the heritage train worked in all its pride until its regular operation was halted. But thanks to the Indian Railways, Fairy Queen Express was started again in 1997. The journey that covers Delhi and Alwar takes place for 1 Night and 2 Days and is popularly known for Sariska Wildlife Sanctuary.
Another important thing to know is that guests get to stay overnight in a hotel at Alwar.
Delhi – Alwar – Sariska- Alwar – Delhi
Attractions at its two stoppages – Sariska and Alwar – are:
- Sariska– Lake Palace, Sariska National Park
- Alwar– Alwar Museum
When to take a tour?
October to March on 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month.
Author Bio- Akansha Negi frequently writes at India Travel Blog by Indian Holiday Pvt. Ltd. She shares her passion of travel and love for various Indian destinations. If you are planning your vacations in India, browse through her write-ups.